I love working with people to make their stories the best they can be.
Anna offers a friendly, supportive editing service and knows firsthand the challenges of writing. The structural edits she provided were precise, insightful and thorough, helping me to sharpen my plot and identify areas for development with my manuscript I would have otherwise missed. I highly recommend her services to all writers serious about their craft who want to move their projects on. – Emily Kenny, now represented by Lauren Gardner of BLM
My Editing Services
I offer two different services, which you can combine:
- A read-through of your entire manuscript. I then produce a structural edit, focusing on the plot, characters, common mistakes, and anything else I feel is helpful for developing your writing. This is bespoke to you – before I begin reading I will ask what you want me to focus on and help you with.
- A line-by-line edit of your first three chapters. This is a detailed report to help you get your first chapters ready for submission. I can also read your query letter and synopsis for an additional fee.
Thank you SO MUCH for your very helpful and thoughtful critique! I’ve had plenty of feedback and beta critiques along the way, all of which have been useful, but I think yours is the first one that’s really nailed some of the issues in the book which I need to resolve – Alex Money
I am an avid reader, and studied English at St. Mary’s University, Twickenham. I have been writing for about 7 years, and have been giving feedback to fellow writers for about 5. I love helping people make their stories shine, and am very familiar with getting ready to query! I am editing my own novel, readying to submit to publishers, with my lovely agent Rachel Mann.
Am I the right editor for you?
My style is thorough but kind. I love helping authors develop their writing craft, and hope to give them tools they can use across all their writing. Below is a list of the kinds of books I would love to work on (and a few I would not!)
- Anything character based – think Elizabeth Strout or Becky Chambers
- Adult fiction – I read very widely, ranging between Jenny Colgan to Joanne Harris and Fredrik Backman. In terms of genre, I love contemporary, romance, crime, psychological thrillers, uplit… Throw something at me and I’ll let you know if we’re a good fit!
- Poetry – I am a generally helpful person at a small poetry publisher called Eye Flash and have had the joy of editing several poetry collections ready for submission. I also love verse novels, so if you’re working on something like The Black Flamingo or The Poet X, I would LOVE to work on it with you
- Young adult – some books I’ve loved are Me Being Me is Exactly the Same as You Being You, A Monster Calls, Freshers, Carry On, The Unlikely Hero of Room 13b, Diary of a Confused Feminist, Love is for Losers… the list goes on and on! I write YA, so this is an area I feel particularly confident in
- Children’s – some books I’ve loved are Pog, I Cosmo, and Pax. I particularly love working on children’s books that are unafraid to handle big issues
- Some non-fiction – I am not a fact checker, but if your book is more focused on personal experience then I would feel happy to help. Some examples would be The Choice or Big Magic. Please get in touch if you want to know if I can help you.
CANNOT HELP WITH:
- Horror – I am a wimp
- Gory crime – see above
- Historical fiction – I am not a fact checker, so would not be able to help with checking the nitty gritty of what underwear someone would have worn in 1800
- Plays – this is an area I know next to nothing about
- Picture books – see above
- Full manuscript report – £130 (this may have to be adjusted depending on your word count)
- Detailed first three chapters – £60 (there is an additonal charge of £25 if you would like me to also do a line-by-line edit of your query letter and synopsis)
I am very happy to tailor my editing to your needs, so please don’t hesitate to ask if you would like something slightly different.
Get in touch
Send me an email if you’d like to know more, or to enquire about my availability 🙂
Anna’s been amazing with helping me whip my story into shape. She has a knack for finding the pesky grammar errors but also got me thinking about fresh ways to see plot and structure (plus she’s been extremely kind and patient with all my nerves/self-doubt). 100% recommend for all your editing needs! – Emma Bradley